The course studies child development from pre-conception to five years old and covers aspects of:
• Family Structures and Parenting
• Preparation for Pregnancy and Birth
• Physical Development
• Nutrition and Health
• Intellectual, Social and Emotional Development
• Community Support
Pupils will learn how to:
• Observe and interact with young children
• Carry out individual, original research
• Explore and investigate the needs of babies and young children.
The qualification can lead to further study at AS/A level, GNVQ/VCE or CACHE courses and may be helpful for those wishing to progress into careers in nursery nursing, nannying, nursing, midwifery, healthcare, teaching etc.
The final grade will be based on:
• One exam worth 40% (untiered A* - G)
• Controlled Assessments worth 60% including a Child Study and 3 smaller more practical resource tasks.
Further information from Mrs. E. Morris